Friday 14 August 2015

Mt Webb and MacDonald Peak via Radium Lake

On Wednesday afternoon I drove 2 hours to Chilliwack Lake, then I hiked to Radium Lake where I camped for one night. In the morning I hiked up Mount Webb and MacDonald Peak, then headed back to campsite to gather my gear and hike down to the car.




I bought a backcountry camping permit here and parked at Chilliwack Lake Day-Use parking with a copy of the permit in my windshield. Then I followed the Trans-Canada-Trail (TCT) until the intersection with Radium Lake Trail. The trail is in good shape with all river crossings intact, including this very bouncy suspension bridge.




Radium Lake was a nice place to camp for a night.



I woke up with at dawn and hiked a well-flagged trail up the col between Mt Webb and MacDonald Peak. Here's a view looking down from the top of the col with Mount Corriveau behind.



Then I scrambled up Macdonald Peak. There were some cairns showing the easiest route, which involved circling the mountain counter-clockwise and reaching the summit from the South 
Macdonald Peak



Then I hiked up Mount Webb. I scrambled up the South side,
Mount Webb


I'd recommend this trip. Lots of great views once you're out of the treeline. It's possible to do as a long day-trip, keep in mind that the park gate closes between 10pm-8am. Also a mountain bike would be helpful for the first portion of the trail. A map of the area is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment